It was a box-office bloodbath for Conan the Barbarian and Fright Night among others over the weekend. On the bright side, The Help climbed to the top spot, due to a combination of a strong hold and those weak new releases, while Rise of the Planet of the Apes took second.
It marked the first time since early January that a movie has risen to No. 1 after previously debuting lower. The last instance was True Grit, but the more thematically comparable The Blind Side also did it. The Help has dusted Julie & Julia and Eat Pray Love, the past female-driven August book adaptations that inspired its release, by a wide margin.
New Movies in Theaters
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World [Family Adventure, 1 hr. 29 min.] Jessica Alba, Antonio Banderas, Ricky Gervais (Voice), Joel McHale, Jeremy Piven, Daryl Sabara, Danny Trejo, Alexa Vega.
- Conan the Barbarian (2011): [Action, 1 hr. 52 min.] Jason Momoa, Stephen Lang, Rachel Nichols, Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan.
- Fright Night (2011): [Horror, 2 hr. 00 min.] Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, David Tennant, Imogen Poots, Toni Collette.
- One Day: [Romance, 1 hr. 48 min.] Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess, Patricia Clarkson, Romola Garai.
Top 10 U.S.A. Weekend Box Office
Weekend: August 19th to 21th, 2011
- (2) The Help $20,479,000 Total: $71,801,000 Weeks: 2
- (1) Rise of the Planet of the Apes $16,300,000 Total: $133,764,000 Weeks: 3
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World $12,020,000 Total: $12,020,000 Weeks: 1
- Conan the Barbarian (2011) $10,000,000 Total: $10,000,000 Weeks: 1
- (4) The Smurfs $8,000,000 Total: $117,745,000 Weeks: 4
- Fright Night (2011) $7,900,000 Total: $8,300,000 Weeks: 1
- (3) Final Destination 5 $7,705,000 Total: $32,328,000 Weeks: 2
- (5) 30 Minutes or Less $6,300,000 Total: $25,762,000 Weeks: 2
- One Day $5,128,000 Total: $5,128,000 Weeks: 1
- (9) Crazy, Stupid, Love. $4,950,000 Total: $64,420,000 Weeks: 4
(#) = Previous week rank, = New Film
Post author: Daniel Semper