The Hangover Part 2 won an estimated $86.5 million over the weekend. With a great Thursday start, its four-day opening came to $118.1 million. Kung Fu Panda 2, on the other hand, fell short of its predecessor.
Playing on approximately 6,700 screens at 3,615 locations, The Hangover Part 2 is the top-grossing weekend ever for a live-action comedy, and it ranked second to The Matrix Reloaded among R-rated movies. For 2011, it had the second-biggest weekend so far, edging out Fast Five, but it likely would have been first if it hadn’t burnt off some demand with its Thursday opening, which was also its top day ($31.6 million).
The first Hangover grossed $45 million in its opening weekend nearly two years ago and was at $52.6 million by day four. It took ten days to pass the $100 million mark.
New Movies in Theaters
- The Hangover Part II: [Comedy, 1 hr. 42 min.] Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, Ken Jeong, Paul Giamatti, Mike Tyson, Jeffrey Tambor, Jamie Chung.
- Kung Fu Panda 2: [Animation, 1 hr. 31 min.] Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, David Cross, Gary Oldman, Michelle Yeoh, Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Top 10 Weekend Box Office in USA
Weekend: May 27th to 29th, 2011
- The Hangover Part II $86,480,000 Total: $118,090,000 Weeks: 1
- Kung Fu Panda 2 $48,000,000 Total: $53,800,000 Weeks: 1
- (1) Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $39,321,000 Total: $152,916,000 Weeks: 2
- (2) Bridesmaids $16,373,000 Total: $84,980,000 Weeks: 3
- (3) Thor $9,365,000 Total: $159,710,000 Weeks: 4
- (4) Fast Five $6,618,000 Total: $196,027,000 Weeks: 5
- (13) Midnight in Paris $1,919,000 Total: $2,824,000 Weeks: 2
- (7) Jumping the Broom $1,900,000 Total: $34,181,000 Weeks: 4
- (8) Something Borrowed $1,845,000 Total: $34,759,000 Weeks: 4
- (6) Rio $1,780,000 Total: $134,821,000 Weeks: 7
(#) = Previous week rank, = New Film
Post author: Daniel Semper