Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides swooped in with the top-grossing weekend of the year so far. The supernatural swashbuckler claimed an estimated $90.1 million at 4,155 locations, edging out Fast Five’s $86.2 million launch. That was also the 12th highest-grossing May opening ever, but, since close to half of On Stranger Tides’ gross was from 3D presentations at a record 2,747 locations (and due to today’s general ticket prices), its estimated attendance level would rank 27th.
Relative to its predecessors, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides sank: At World’s End drew $114.7 million on its first weekend in May 2007 (not including $13.2 million in Thursday night previews), while Dead Man’s Chest raked in a then-record $135.6 million opening weekend back in July 2006. Adjusted for ticket price inflation, those grosses would be the equivalent of $131 million and $163 million, respectively.
On Stranger Tides’s start was also less than that of the last Johnny Depp spectacle Alice in Wonderland (2010), which began with $116.1 million.
New Movies in Theaters
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: [Adventure, 2 hr. 17 min.] Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Ian McShane, Kevin McNally, Astrid Berges-Frisbey, Sam Claflin, Geoffrey Rush.
- Midnight in Paris: [Romantic Comedy, 1 hr. 40 min.] Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, Michael Sheen, Adrien Brody, Kathy Bates, Léa Seydoux, Tom Hiddleston.
Top 10 Weekend Box Office in USA
Weekend: May 20th to 22th, 2011
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tide $90,100,000 Total: $90,100,000 Weeks: 1
- (2) Bridesmaids $21,058,000 Total: $59,518,000 Weeks: 2
- (1) Thor $15,500,000 Total: $145,406,000 Weeks: 3
- (3) Fast Five $10,631,000 Total: $186,219,000 Weeks: 4
- (5) Rio $4,650,000 Total: $131,647,000 Weeks: 6
- (4) Priest $4,600,000 Total: $23,683,000 Weeks: 2
- (6) Jumping the Broom $3,700,000 Total: $31,318,000 Weeks: 3
- (7) Something Borrowed $3,425,000 Total: $31,428,000 Weeks: 3
- (8) Water for Elephants $2,150,000 Total: $52,428,000 Weeks: 5
- (9) Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family $990,000 Total: $51,757,000 Weeks: 5
(#) = Previous week rank, = New Film
Previous: Top 10 Box Office: Thor
Post author: Daniel Semper