Topping the weekend, Hop hatched an estimated $38.1 million on approximately 4,700 screens at 3,579 locations, narrowly edging out Rango to claim the highest-grossing opening weekend of 2011 so far (if the estimate holds). It was also a larger start than G-Force and Beverly Hills Chihuahua but below the two Alvin and the Chipmunks movies among similar titles. Easter comes late this year (April 24), so Hop is well-positioned to play well all month.
Strangely, up until now, Hollywood hasn’t really exploited the Easter holiday in movies. Otherwise, Hop seemed derivative of Alvin and the Chipmunks and many others (the chicks looked like a combination of Despicable Me’s minions and Madagascar’s penguins), but that’s a proven formula for attracting families. For the geeks Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory appears in Hop, and for the medics, Dr. House gives his voice for Hop’s dad.
In the other hand, Sucker Punch confirms its FAIL, falling from the second place to the seventh.
New Movies in Theaters
- Hop: [Comedy, 1 hr. 30 min.] Russell Brand (Voice), James Marsden, Kaley Cuoco, Hugh Laurie (Voice), Chelsea Handler, Elizabeth Perkins.
- Source Code: [Sci-Fi Thriller, 1 hr. 34 min.] Jake Gyllenhaal, Vera Farmiga, Michelle Monaghan, Jeffrey Wright.
- Insidious: [Horror, 1 hr. 38 min.] Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Barbara Hershey.
Top 10 Weekend Box Office in USA
Weekend: April 1st to 3rd, 2011
- Hop $38,118,000 Total: $38,118,000 Weeks: 1
- Source Code $15,053,000 Total: $15,053,000 Weeks: 1
- Insidious $13,496,000 Total: $13,496,000 Weeks: 1
- (1) Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules $10,200,000 Total: $38,355,000 Weeks: 2
- (3) Limitless $9,402,000 Total: $55,604,000 Weeks: 3
- (4) The Lincoln Lawyer $7,050,000 Total: $39,637,000 Weeks: 3
- (2) Sucker Punch $6,085,000 Total: $29,876,000 Weeks: 2
- (5) Rango $4,560,000 Total: $113,783,000 Weeks: 5
- (6) Paul $4,335,000 Total: $31,934,000 Weeks: 3
- (7) Battle: Los Angeles $3,500,000 Total: $78,466,000 Weeks: 4
(#) = Previous week rank, = New Film
Post author: Daniel Semper