Automatic Update: public_html/wp-admin/css/theme-editor.dev.css

Date: January / 11 / 2011 + Comments: 7

WordPress girl t-shirt If you try to upgrade your WordPress installation with the Automatic Update option and after 2 to 7 minutes you get this error:

Could not copy file.: /public_html/wp-admin/css/theme-editor.dev.css
Installation Failed

Other sites advise to change the file permissions to 777 or 755, or to deactivate all the plugins, or to delete the upgrade directory in the wp-content. None of these solutions worked for me.

Solution: Change the FTP Server to ProFTPD

If you manage your server you have to change your FTP Server in the WHM, or if you are in a shared server you have to ask to your hosting company to change it (you need to be root for this):

(y) Change the FTP Server from Pure-FTPD to ProFTPD

Once I did this the Automatic Update from WordPress run in 15 seconds, very fast with a successful update :)

Follow us in Twitter @aeromentaln and Facebook

Post author: Daniel Semper

Similar Posts

Previous and Next Post

Email Newsletter

The best of Aeromental in your inbox every morning !!!

7 Comments »

pingbacks

Pingbacks, this post was linked by:

1. Wordpress update permission issues - DreamDevourer / June 4th, 2015
  1. Michael says:

Yep, after hours of fighting with chmods and other option, changing the ftp server to proFTPD was THE solution for me. Thanks for the hint..

2. Scott says:

Been beating my head against keyboard for hours messing with permissions, owners, suphp, etc. etc. This was the answer I needed, thank you!!!

3. Mark Regan says:

You are an angel! Like the others I tried it all. One simple switch of the FTP server and I am now golden.

Thank you!

4. John Ford says:

There’s a patch (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10913) for WordPress that should go into 3.2 and help fix this upgrade error for most people running into it. It only seems to happen with servers running Pure-FTPd. In the meantime, there’s a plugin that should help fix updates for most people: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ftp-upgrade-fix/

5. Steve says:

Thank you for posting this tip – it worked like a charm for me!

6. David Beale says:

Works instantly!
    Thanks hugely heaps lots for this info. The fix took only a few seconds in WHM!
    Very grateful to you, thanks.