This is my short Summary Review (for people without too much time like you and me) in the recent Steve Jobs Conference of iPhone OS 4.0:
- Multitasking, several apps working at the same time in the background. It is not 100% but with some trick it just works at expected without wasting battery. The developers must create / update their apps with this new API. There is special attention to VoIp and background music radios.
- Folders, group 9 apps into one icon. Now you can have a maximum of 2160 applications at once, many more than the current limit of 180 apps.
- Wallpaper. You can have a personalized image in your home background, like the iPad.
- Improved E-Mail.You can manage different e-mails accounts in just one inbox, organize messages by threads, and open attachments in third-party apps.
- iBooks. The same store and digital books reader from the iPad.
- Game Center. Apple’s new API for social gaming network. Your users can invite friends to play a game, start a multiplayer game through matchmaking, track their achievements, and compare their high scores on a leader board.
- iAd. Interactive ads inside the Apps. With special menus, photos, videos, games and media. Everything coded with HTML5.
- iPhone OS 4.0 works in the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3º Generation (models from September 2009 with 32 GB or 64GB)
- Without Multitasking for the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2º Generation (models from 2008 or the 8GB of 2009)
- iPod Touch 1º Gen and iPhone 1º Gen are not compatible with the iPhone OS 4.0.
iPhone OS 4.0 is available now in beta version just for developers, and will be available for iPhone / iPod Touch users in Summer, and for iPad users in USA’s Autumn.(The are no exact dates)
Post author: Daniel Semper